Tuesday 28 September 2010

STAGE 2

30-Sep-06 Disaster struck today! Looking at the model, I realised that I'd attached the bulwarks in the wrong location. I'd fitted them level with the decks instead of level with the top of the frames. In fairness to myself (remember I'm a rank beginner with no knowledge of boats), I had worked off the kit drawing which is a little ambiguous. To be fair to Billing Boats though, this kit is for the Advanced Beginner, so its not really fair to criticise them.

Anyway, it took me about an hour to carefully detach the bulwarks and in the process I managed to stick the scalpel blade deep into my thumb - ouch!!!!

With a full weekend in front of me and the project at a complete standstill, it was time to bring the big guns in. I contacted Jim Hatch of MSW to see if he could spare some time to pull me out of the hole I was in. Jim very kindly invited me round to his home and within minutes I was stood in his workshop getting some great tips and advice from him.

Jim decided the model needed a small modification at the stern, which confirmed that there was something wrong after all. Once he'd made the minor mod, he explained how I should chamfer the edge of the frames to maximise contact with the planks and then he advised on how best to tackle the planking.

Finally, Jim gave me some spare planking and a load of Model Boat mags to read. The icing on the cake was having the opportunity to see some of his work. WOW Thanks very much for your help Jim. You're a star!!

So, with renewed confidence, I got home and restarted the work. Bulwarks were attached at correct height and then I fitted my very first plank! Then another two! Hmmm, not an exciting part of the build is it? Quite a tedious task in fact. Ah well, before I ended for the day, I clamped the two halves of the hull together just to see if there were any obvious problems. They seemed to go together fine, so no nasty surprises later, thankfully. I'll probably continue with the planking tomorrow (Sunday).





No comments:

Post a Comment