Tuesday 28 September 2010

STAGE 6

01-Apr-2010. Last night I finished off planking the port side and it appears that I didn't learn a damned thing about planking when I did the starboard side! The standard of planking on the port was nothing less than laughable!

It all started going pear-shaped when I snapped the 3rd plank from the bottom and it got gradually worse from there. No.4 plank proved a challenge too and by the time I got the the middle, there was a very awkward gap in the middle of the hull which was sharply tapered at both ends.

Making a plank to fit such an odd gap was not a problem - at all! The problem is that cock-ups like this don't matter at all on the St Roch because it's being painted, so none of my incompetence will show in the end. But it will show up if I do the same thing on my HMS Victory model. And that's really worrying me.

I've skipped through Donald Dressel's Planking Techniques For Beginners and it reads like rocket science to me! It doesn't help one bit. I've come to the conclusion that I'm thick! Even the relatively "simple" guide from Model Ship World doesn't help me. I read these publications and they seem to make sense but I don't seem to be transferring their methodology to my work.




Go on Homer - Hit that damned hull


No comments:

Post a Comment