Tuesday 28 September 2010

STAGE 3

08-Oct-06. Been too busy at work to progress much, but today I thought I'd drag myself back to the planking of the hull. I managed to get a total of 7 planks on from the top down before having to start from the bottom and work upwards.

I'm guessing that this will be the very worst part of the build, because when the two sets of planks meet, there's going to be some very awkward spaces to fill. Anyway, in using this technique I'm following the advice of Jim Hatch, so it must work!

The first bottom-plank laid was the worst because I had to cut the leading edge to exactly match the curvature of the hull. I wasn't sure (and I'm still not at this stage) whether this is the correct way of doing it, but we'll see.

Note that each plank is glued on initially with Cyano and then later followed with a "fillet" of wood glue. I've done this throughout the build on every single joint. It should result in an extremely strong model.



No comments:

Post a Comment